Licensed radios prove to be very beneficial in long run. They offer more stability and better range. Of course, you can opt for an unlicensed radios but they will not have a stable frequency to work with and hence can cause unanticipated interruptions.

We have created this blog to provide you with better understanding of the licensing for the radios. Let us quickly browse through the various aspects of Licensed Radios and its regulations.

The very first question that pops up in the mind is whether you need a license from FCC for your two-way or not. Well, the answer to this question depends on:

  • What type of communication would you use your radio for? Whether it is personal or business?
  • What type of equipment would you be using?

For personal or light-weight use licensing is not required and you can work with MURS frequency. However, if your transmissions cause any interruption or you end up using the frequency not permitted by law, then it could lead to serious repercussions. If you own a small business, then you might want to consider this.

Moreover, if you are planning to use the two-way radios for professional businesses, then it is highly advisable to use licensed radios.When you opt for a licensed two-way radio, you get an assigned frequency. This proves to be very beneficial for uninterrupted communication.

There are various options for business using two-way radios. In USA, your two-way radio can function on following frequencies:


These radios are commonly used by schools, security teams or medical fields where they want privacy. You can start using them straightaway and they do not need any registration from the government.


When you use a licensed two-way radio, you are given a specific frequency to work with. Professional businesses are recommended to use these devices.


Two-way radios that listed at 2 watts or less are now considered FRS radios. You do not need a license to use such radios and it is implied that once you purchase such radios you can use all 22 channels.


LMR is for use in business, government agencies, and non-profit institutions like education, healthcare, and religious organizations.Once you obtain it, the license is good for 10 years. There are several types of LMR licenses:

  • Simplex License
  • Duplex License
  • Itinerant License


MURS is an unlicensed service for either business or personal use. This is open to everyone and so there is no privacy in it and interference is also a common problem.These radios are limited to 2 watts or less and have limited range. They good option for temporary job sites.

Citizens Band (CB)

You do not need a license to use it in USA and it can be used for either commercial or personal communications. Such equipment comes with pre-set frequencies on 40 channels. Once again, privacy and disturbance in communication is common problem.



The prime purpose of this blog was to throw some light on the requirement of the licensed radios. We hope you found this write-up useful. Production Radios are front-runners in licensed radio supplies and you can reach out for buying or renting radios.

For any further details checkout